Enaro 2014

Enaro 2014

zondag 10 juni 2012

Arrival and discovering Copenhagen


Yesterday I arrived in Copenhagen. It was a pleasant trip, but still -secretly- I was a little bit jealous at Andreas, my Swiss companion who had a wonderful trip by train from Brussels to here and was able to visit Hamburg on his way. While waiting for my luggage, it was a pleasant surprise when  I noticed Mrs. Tsovinar Khachatrian also was on the same airplane. She was one of the organisers who had welcomed me on the kick off-day in Brussels and she will be introducing me to the diferent structures of the Danish Red Cross. Also thanks to her and her kind colleagues, I have a much clearer view on what is to be expected about the program during the oncoming week. Because Mrs. Khachatrian was kind enough to guide me to the train, I was travelling towards my hotel in no time.

On the train towards the hotel, I made a pleasant contact with Mohamed, a 50 – year old African who has lived and worked in Copenhagen for 22 years now. During the ride Mohamed told me how he built his life up from beginning as a street sweeper to a driver / postal clerk. Great was his admiration  after I told him about how I got my job and the reason behind my visit. Almost immediately he apologized for the agressive and disrespectful attitude some of the Moroccan youngsters show nowadays. According to him the cause of their vulnerability is to be found within the system, not giving them enough opportunities to deploy their real qualities. I agreed with him that most misery in the world comes because of those who have to much luxury to spend, but don't want to share anything of their wealth or even knowledge with those who suffer or cannot pay for it. Mohamed only answered with his hand on his heart and said: “You're one of the few who truly understands, my friend.” As my chest grew, I smiled and gave him a nice fedasil pen as a symbol of my gratitude for his kind words. Once in the hotel, it was already half past ten in the evening. After a brief exploration of the block around the hotel and a friendly chat with Andreas about cars, our women and local beers we decided to go to sleep early.




So about today... After a refreshing breakfast, Andreas and I explored the city and the surrounding waters. In the streets I noticed that there is not that much diversity noticeable as it is in Brussels. Yet it will be something I keep in mind, and the more I get to know about the Danish Red Cross and their policy related to asylum and recognition as a refugee, it will be easier to explain rationally.

The main objectives I hope to find an answer to are:

- How do they structurally, practically, emotionally and socially deal with unaccompanied young asylum seekers in the Danish asylum centres?

-What resources are available to ensure social integration, during the asylum procedure but also afterwards?

- How do they respond to the diversity of people and each individual's own capacities (empowerment, sensibilisations, education, ... ) ?

- Which consequenses do asylum seekers get after a negative decision on their asylum procedure?

These are probably the most important issues that I would like to question for now but I'm sure additional questions will strike up, which I hope to clear out through targeted questioning. Tomorrow the actual program starts. I'm looking forward to it with full motivation. But first I'll have a nice refreshing Danish Tuborg to empower my own effort in this enriching experience... :)

Wesley

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten