Enaro 2014

Enaro 2014

woensdag 13 juni 2012

Day 3, The UMA 's and their assistants

So, Finally we get to meet the mutual field of work I am active in. After quite an early morning breakfast, we took a two hours travel towards the Jaegerspris' UMA residence center. On arrival we were warmly welcomed by Mrs Caroline Madsen, the head of the UMA residence, and Hanne Bernard, the local psychologist who works closely with the UMA's in need of extra psychological support.


So, at first we got to listen to Mrs. Madsen en Mrs. Bernard who explained the history, facts and challenges they meet in the centre. The most important thing I remembered here, is the value of STROP, which stands for "Structure", "Time to talk", "Ritual", "Organised activities", and "Parenthood". I could relate to each word she pointed out as being very valuable in the daily work with minors, especially those who live in this centre. Then Axel took over and gave us a tour through the centre. I almost immediately noticed that the assistants present had a good team spirit, especially Axel stood out in a positive and very amusing attitude. At one moment, a girl from Sri Lanka entered the office with bad news. She 's just been to the ministry at Sandholm and had signed a paper in which she 'voluntarely' agreed to return to her country of origine. At that moment I saw Axel being very professional, empathic and understanding. He gave the girl his full attention and looked at her paper while giving her a caring hug. He took a minute to read the paper and told the girl he would come back to her on that in private. No time for jokes, this was serious bussiness. I could see that the girl felt a little bit relieved in this difficult situation, just by getting this so much needed attention and empathy. My respect for this man grew bigger by the minute. Almost as big as he was, and I guess he must have been 2 meters tall.

All his colleagues seemed very motivated in what they were doing and took their jobs very seriously, but on the other side there was space for fun and joking. Especially once Axel (contact person) and Wiebeke (Centre nurse) got together. But let's just stick to the serious part for now, because this is a serious cause we're serving, right? Wiebeke is the centre nurse and she showed me how all UMA's are treated on intake. Quite some checklist to go through, I noticed. From physical health to a detailed list of behaviours problem and potential signs of the UMA being suffering of PTSD were also included in this list.  Eventually, if there would be any information necessary to give to the social workers who stood in direct contact with these minors, it would be transferred so that everyone's health and integrity is respected.
Before giving in to my growling stomach and allready looking forward to another wonderful dinner, we got a private interview with Mrs. Bernard, the centre psychologist. Also here I noticed that the suffering of each individual is taking very seriously. According to Mrs. Bernard almost all UMA's have been traumatized in one way or the other. She said that all these boys and girls had a moment in their life were something impossible had to be done in order to survive, like witnessing people, even family members being killed in front of their eyes. Sometimes they were even forced themselves to kill, rather then being killed themselves (or even a treath of being a potential suïcide bomber were eminent realities for some of them). I knew that this reality is oftenly ignored by me into reacting on the behaviour, instead of looking at the suffering behind this behaviour. In acknowledgement and understanding for their suffering lies the true meaning of helping these 'lost' souls find some kind of relief. It's a thin line we're walking, because making sure that they don't get lost in their own fears or inner pains of memories and reviving their past trauma's takes a lot of energy and strength for a team member to cope with, let not stand alone also the danger of being seized by extreme emotions themselves. That's why also the staff is offered professional psychological support on a regular basis within the structure of the red cross.
So, finally... lunch. Greafff fandwichfes... munch.. munch... :)

In the afternoon it was all a little bit more layback. Because I stuffed myself with about five delicious and very large sandwiches, all my spare energy went to my primal digestion system and sent my attention into a drowsy state of alertness. Nevertheless, after a few nods, I was back in business. The most important thing I remember from Axel Marx that he had an extraordinary good tongue of english, which made it very difficult for my fantasy not to go back to Scotland and their great single malts.... Anyways, duty calls. I Axel made it clear to me that emancipation of all of the group members is an enormous challenge. To engage them to a meeting in which they get to decide what sort of activities they prefer, mostly is answered with: 'No I can't, I have friends to visit."... very recognizable I must say... hehe. Nevertheless, I had some inspiring thoughts on all that was shared that afternoon. In order to prevent any other colleague of mine to take the best of it, I'll just keep that for a future project to be worked out. Fedasil, be prepared.. extra work coming up. And my newly sparked energy doesn't comply to ignorance... as in 'don't know, so why care?'

So, then back home. Had the worst lunch ever... I will never ever go to Fridas again. Tenderloin with baked oignons and fresh cucumber tasted to me like wet cardboard, covered in an ognion - snotlike jelly on top and some patatoes that took a marinade of fat with some greenish brown slices of cucumber that riped in grandmother's socks... yeukh... Or maybe my standards for a good meal have just gone that high after being spoiled every day with an exquisite buffet at the centres we visited so far. :)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten